Pages

Rat rod vs Lambor

Monday, August 4, 2014

Vacation reading




For this vacation we had to pick a partner and read a classic book and discuss the book with the partner frequently.
Directions:https://docs.google.com/a/graded.br/document/d/1eQkTW-apJG5Tjk0yLhtysboGsfGeC4pKr2QzrG1VyD8/edit


Sorry I don't have a picture of my partner because my partner is in Korea.


Name of the book: 1984

Author:George Orwell
genre : Classic

Conversation Page 1~69

Me: I think that the story of this book unfolds in a really extraordinary way, what do you think?
Teacher: Jason this book might not be like the books that you are used to read, First of all this book is mostly for college level and the author tells the story mixing the 1st and 3rd person as there is the diary that is telling the story and the author himself.
Me: Oh I have done a research about the form of government that the book is demonstrating, it is called totalitarian ship.
Teacher: I was just about to explain it to you. So as you mentioned that, talk my way through.
Me: Ok, according to my research a totalitarian government is a type of a dystopian government that took control of every part of you. Like North Korea.
Teacher: Impressive, but let me add something to it; a totalitarian government is a mixture of an oligarchy and a dictatorship.
Me: Ok now we have to answer some questions. Let’s start with some reactions that you had while reading the book.
Teacher: Well, I was shocked to hear about prostitution in the city, how common it was,it comes out in page 68 mostly.
Me: I was amazed by how the author describes the technology in 1984 where there are telescreens that spies on you and posters that are able to spy on you.
Me: Next question: Let’s decide the golden passage of the chapters that we have read.
Teacher: I think that the golden passage was “War is peace freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength” p4
Me: so that is our golden passage for today and over here it tells me to discuss why I chose you as a partner so I have chosen you because you are the only person around that speaks english.
Me: And what kinds of books do u like to read?
Teacher: I like to read novels
Me: ok
we are done for the week

Questions that we have answered: Week 1:

  • Discuss your basic reactions to this section of text/chapters
  • Include a 'Golden Passage' from the text with page number (suggestion: keep a few post its in the books while you read) & describe why you chose this selection
  • Discuss why you selected this particular partner?  Discuss you and your partner’s favorite book of all time and why? What does your partner love about reading?  About literature?



Week 2
Me: Ok what do you think about the chapters that we read.
Teacher: I think that the action is rising throughout the chapters that we have read.
Me: What do you mean do you mean that the story is getting interesting?
Teacher: yes, and do you remember the part where we Winston and Julia was meeting?
Me: yes
Teacher: That is where the action rises because they are sneaking around.
Me: ok I’ve got it.
Me: now we have to pick the golden passage of the week I think that the golden passage was: “ if there is hope it lies on the proles”.
Teacher: I don’t think that there is a golden passage in the chapters that we have read.
Me: well we have to have one too bad.
teacher: whatever.
Me: I think that the book is getting more exciting from now on because the rising of the action has finally begun.
Teacher: I totally agree.
Me: But I liked the start of the book too because it actually starts as a diary of a normal citizen but then the citizen becomes a rebel. Oh and Actually Winston reminds me of a total maniac who would change his mind up every minute.

Questions that we have answered:Week 2:

  • Discuss your basic reactions to this section of text/chapters
  • Include a 'Golden Passage' from the text with page number (suggestion: keep a few post its in the books while you read) & describe why you chose this selection
  • In the first pages, are you both pleased with the selection of this book?  Explain both of your feelings. What do you love/appreciate most about the protagonist of this novel?  Give 1 example of whom she/he reminds each of you of and why.  How would you describe the central conflict being expressed in this text?   


















Week 3:

Me: I think that I am finally noticing why this book is for high school students.
Teacher: why? Is it because the book is getting inappropriate?
Me: Mostly, yeah. But the thing is that the story is getting harder to understand and the vocabulary is getting harder there are some words that I have never heard of.
Teacher: Jason, I understand but you have to get used to this idea because you are becoming an 8th grader and you are going into high school next year so if you know basically how high school books are like you won’t really have a hard time moving up to high school.
Me: I guess you are right but it is time to move on.
Teacher: what is next.
Me: Now we have to chose the golden passage of our the sections that we have read.
Teacher: how about “ room 101 is the worst thing in the world”?
Me: why?
Teacher: because room 101 actually has the idea of being the basic class but over here in this book room 101 is the room that criminals get tortured and that is pretty extraordinary I think.
Me: As you’ve got a reason I think that you are probably right.
Me: now we are supposed to discuss about themes woven into this novel. What are your thoughts?
Teacher: Jason do you know that this book was actually written in the WWII?
Me: yes of course
Teacher: so this book was written to rebel against the communist countries ok?
Me: oh I get it that is why this book talks about totalitarian ship.

Questions that we needed to answer: Week 3:
  • Discuss your basic reactions to this section of text/chapters
  • Include a 'Golden Passage' from the text with page number (suggestion: keep a few post its in the books while you read) & describe why you chose this selection
  • What are some of the themes being woven throughout the plotline of the novel?  How does the author do this?  Is it enjoyable to each of you?


week 4



Me: ok here we go again
Teacher: so I think that in this part of the book I think that the author has revealed most of his thoughts and philosophies.
Me: like how?
Teacher: you know in this part of the book it revealed that the author thinks that the truth is no longer the truth if nobody defends it with all their power.
Me:ok where in the book does it shows that?
Teacher: oh god don’t you remember the part where the ministry of love tortures winston and makes him think that 2+2=5?
Me: oh now I remember.
Me: now we have to choose a golden passage from the text what would it be?
Me: may I choose?
Teacher: last time I chose it so I think that it is your turn.
Me: Yeah. ok 2+2=5
Teacher: Why the heck did you choose that?
Me: because people made winston believe that by torture.
Teacher: ok
Me: Now we have to talk about the authors usage of language and tone
and if you have enjoyed it or not.
Teacher: I think that the authors tone is just normal there is nothing special worth talking about.
Me: I feel the same way. So there is no way that we would be enjoying it.

questions needed to be answered.

Week 4:
  • Discuss your basic reactions to this section of text/chapters
  • Include a 'Golden Passage' from the text with page number (suggestion: keep a few post its in the books while you read) & describe why you chose this selection
  • How would you describe the author’s use of language in this novel?  Do you each enjoy how it is used?  Explain?  Have you learned any new vocabulary words or ways to use language while reading this novel?


week 5

Me: well I didn’t have that type of reaction as I did in the first time reading this book because now I am used to all of the styles that the author writes in.
Teacher: it is normal to feel like that dude.
Me: really so like we don’t have to talk about it?
Teacher: How the heck am I supposed to know.
Me: you are right.
Me: let’s move on. What is the golden passage. I think that we have answered this question a lot of times so come on just agree with me ok?
I think that the golden passage was when winston said I love big brother.
Teacher: As it is our last day together I will just agree with you.
Me: yes!!!
Me: are you satisfied with the ending?
Teacher: I am satisfied with the ending because the ending makes me think of that story even after you have finished reading the book.
Me: I am not satisfied with the story’s ending because it is an open ending and I don’t want this book to bother anymore with my life because it is such a complicated book to read in this age I think
Me: Well I think that we have the exact opposite idea with the ending.
Teacher : guess so but I am bored and I have a lesson to teach bye dude.
Me: bye.
questions that needed to be answered:

Week 5:
  • Discuss your basic reactions to this section of text/chapters
  • Include a 'Golden Passage' from the text with page number (suggestion: keep a few post its in the books while you read) & describe why you chose this selection
  • Are you both satisfied with the book’s ending.  Explain the best aspect of this partner read for you.  Ask your partner to share his/her experiences. Be detailed and specific. Now that the book is complete, what ideas do you and your partner have about ‘classics’.  Do you see a difference in a ‘classic’ compared to other types of books? Explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment