Pages

Rat rod vs Lambor

Friday, October 16, 2015

Ancient Pot analysis

The main criteria in this project was to make a replica of a pot made in the past. Unlike my last project in which was graded for its originality and creativity, this project is graded for use of the same skills that was used in the past while making the ancient pot. And as the main goal of my last project was to prepare myself for the Ancient pot project, I think that the creative coil project gave me a great opportunity to learn and gain experience with making pots using the coil technique. When I first started this project, I was confused with how it would be graded because I was never taught or asked to copy or make a replica of a project. But it all made sense with a couple moments of thinking, because I realized that I would have to show the actual techniques that I know of and applying them to other types of pottery instead of the ones created originally by me. The pot that I chose to make was made between 57 BC and 668 AD. It follows the original form of Korean pottery. It was originally made by a table wheel. Therefore, the techniques used in the pot might have a significant difference from the techniques that I used. Some factors of this is that the pot is very smooth and that the curves are more sharper in a way. To make my pot look like a replica of the ancient pot, I had to arrange the coils in a way that there would be a bigger gap between them, this allowed me to shape the pot with more sudden curves, when I first started using this technique, I didn't really understand why I was doing this, and I consistently asked myself doubtful questions about this technique. But, after adding a few more coils, I could clearly see that the technique was working wonderfully, I could really see that technique allowed me to make much more sudden curves in my project. The sudden and strange curves in my project was not the only challenge that I had to face to meet the criterias of this project. I also had to deal with the fact that the original ancient pot was much smoother than my pot. So I simply used the most simple technique of wetting a sponge and rubbing it around the project. The last task that I had to finish to finalize this project was to draw the decorational lines in on the pot. This task was particularly hard because as the pot was in a round shape, I couldn't really notice the difference of curved and straight lines. So it took me multiple tries to get the lines and decorations done. It turned out that all the lines were straight. They just looked curved because the pot had a round shape. The only thing that I would have done differently in this project is the lines in the decoration. I think that the lines that I drew near the base of the project are poorly done because the lines do not have an exact destination. Therefore, I wish that I would have had planned the lines more thoroughly before actually drawing them. But overall, I am pleased with my project, and I generally like the way that it is looks. But I think that I should try to manage my time in a better way because I think that this project took me a little too long to finish than expected. Maybe it was because I had to frequently adjust the measurements that were done for this project. But I think that it was mostly because I was kind of lazy during the process of decorating my project. Even though the lines were confusing to verify, I think that it should have taken me no more than 1 class to finish because it really wasn't that much work.

No comments:

Post a Comment